Prof. Leda Castilho is visiting professor at Cell culture Technology Group
From 10th of January 2011 Prof. Dr. Leda Castilho from the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ) will join our group as a visiting professor for six months. During her stay, that is funded by the National Council of Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq), she will work on the development and optimization of continuous perfusion processes for the production of therapeutic recombinant proteins.
Leda Castilho holds a PhD from the Technical University of Braunschweig (Title of PhD thesis: Development of a dynamic filter for integrated perfusion cultivation and purification of recombinant proteins from mammalian cells) and currently is Assistent Professor for Biochemical Engineering at the UFRJ within the Chemical Engineering Program – PEQ/COPPE. Her expertise is on bioprocessing technology and engineering and on animal cell technology.
Leda has published three books, 10 book chapters, more than 30 peer reviewed publications and has received a number of awards and honours including:
· Award “Retorta de Ouro”, Sindicato dos Químicos e Engenheiros Químicos do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, 2009.
· Award “COPPE Giulio Massarani - Mérito Acadêmico”, COPPE/UFRJ, 2009.
· Distinction “Jovem Cientista do Nosso Estado”, FAPERJ, 2009.
· Honour mention “Incentivo em Ciência e Tecnologia” (category: published article), Health Ministry, 2009.
· Nomination as Affiliated Member of the Brazilian Academy of Sciences (ABC), 2008.
· Award “Cariocas do Ano” (category: scientist), “Veja Rio” magazine, 2008.
· 3rd Young Scientist Prize - category Engineering, Regional Office for Latin America and the Caribbean (TWAS-ROLAC), 2008.
· Best Overall Poster Award, Vaccine Technology II Conference, Portugal (award sponsored by Merck), 2008.
· National prize intitled “Prêmio Santander Banespa de Ciência e Inovação”, category: Biotechnology, 2007.
· Distinction “Jovem Cientista do Nosso Estado”, FAPERJ, 2007.